Gluten Free Veggie Cannellini Balls
Recipe Yield: 30 Servings Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 40 minutes
- 2 x 400g cans cannellini beans
- 1 small red onion, finely minced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 egg yolks (or 1 large egg, if you’re not hoarding whites for macarons)
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 – 2/3 cup dry breadcrumbs
- approx. 2 oz. Asiago
- Preheat oven to 360 F and line a baking try with parchment.
- Rinse and drain the beans well, then use a fork to mash them together with the onion, garlic, egg yolks and herbs. Season well. Add breadcrumbs bit by bit until you get a mixture that holds together.
- Form the mixture into ping-pong-sized balls, stuffing each one with a cube of Asiago, and place on baking tray.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, turning carefully halfway, until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, prepare whatever sauce you want to serve – I made a simple tomato sauce of garlic fried in butter and olive oil to which I added a big jar of passata and a bunch of chopped herbs then simmered for about 20 minutes.
- Gently drop the balls into the simmering sauce, turn to coat and cook over low heat for a further 10 minutes.
- Serve over pasta or polenta, in a bowl with some crusty bread or in a sub.